If you suffered injuries after a slip and fall accident in Atlanta, you could get compensation for your losses. Our Atlanta slip and fall lawyer can help you seek compensation for all your damages.
Victims may wonder about who to hold liable and how to go about a case. If you fell on a commercial or residential property because of someone else's negligence, our Atlanta slip and fall lawyers at Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group can help you get your case underway. Our victories include recovering $525,000 for a client who suffered a slip and fall injury. Let our legal team fight for the money you need. En Español
Table of Contents
We Are Here to Help Atlantans Get the Recovery They Deserve
At Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group, we work diligently to help our clients hold the negligent party responsible and recover the compensation they deserve. Healing from an accident brings challenges on many levels, and we believe no one should have to endure this hardship alone while managing a legal case. In many cases, recoveries are long, difficult, and unpredictable.
Injury accidents can also involve other battles, including going up against insurers for a fair settlement. These companies often fight liability cases to avoid paying out more money than they have to. We also think no one should handle this on their own either—another reason we’re here.
Our founding attorney Jennifer Gore-Cuthbert personally understands these struggles. She suffered injuries in an accident while a college student. She learned firsthand the challenges of physically recovering from the accident while trying to work with insurance companies for the compensation she needed. As a result, she started her practice to ensure that others won’t face the same experiences.
Why Work With Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group?
We can help you seek justice against the negligent parties in your case and recover compensation. Our Atlanta slip and fall lawyer can guide you using our years of experience handling claims and lawsuits.
When you work with us, we:
- Put you first. Our compassionate legal team can meet with you to understand what happened in the accident. We pay attention to each client’s case and ask questions to ensure we have the story right. We connect with them, taking every measure to understand what they need and what it takes to help them recover. You can read our client testimonials to hear from past clients.
- Explain your legal options. We simplify the legal process for you. Our extensive legal knowledge ensures we use a legal strategy that fits your case.
- Take the initiative and remain flexible while handling your case. We plan for foreseeable challenges in all cases we handle. Our proactive approach also allows us to adapt to any unforeseeable challenges. We’re up to the challenge, anticipating a case’s needs as it unfolds.
- Remain on top of your case and all developments. You never have to guess about what's going on in your case. We can explain all changes and how they can affect your case's outcome.
- Stay focused on your financial recovery: Past clients received five- and six-figure settlements with our help. We focus on getting you financial compensation to recover from your slip and fall accident in the Atlanta area.
Recoverable Damages in an Atlanta Slip and Fall Case
Personal injury accidents usually involve economic (financial) and non-economic (non-financial) damages. Our attorney can assess the damages you could recover and determine how much you could pursue.
We can prove economic damages with documentation, such as your pay stubs, invoices, receipts, or billing statements.
Examples of economic damages include:
- Medical expenses for injury treatment, including emergency care and hospital stays
- Ongoing rehabilitation that promotes your recovery (e.g., physical and/or occupational therapy)
- Lost income, earnings, bonuses, tips, etc.
- Reduced earning ability if your injuries force you to take another job or stop working
- Property damage
- Other accident-related expenses
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
It is difficult to establish non-economic losses because they do not come with a fixed dollar amount. However, our attorney can review these losses and calculate the value of the intangible losses you face.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit After an Atlanta Slip and Fall Incident
If your loved one suffered fatal injuries in an Atlanta-area slip and fall accident, we can file a lawsuit on your family’s behalf. We know this is difficult to get through, and we offer our sincere condolences. However, we want to help you and your family recover the compensation you need. We can handle your entire case while you take care of your family.
Wrongful death damages can pay your loved one’s funeral and burial arrangements and final medical bills. It could also include the income they contributed to the household and money to compensate you for the pain and suffering you feel over your loved one’s absence. During your free consultation, we can also explain how Georgia’s wrongful death laws work and determine who in your family can pursue this kind of legal claim.
Our Atlanta slip and fall lawyer works for your family. We can uncover all damages due to you and help you pursue them.
Understanding Premises Liability and Slip and Fall Accidents
Injured parties can file a premises liability lawsuit against the property owner to recover damages for a slip and fall accident. They may seek compensation from the property owner, but only if they can prove the owner’s negligence makes them liable.
How Do You Prove Someone Is Liable in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Our injury attorney can explain how the legal concept of premises liability applies to your slip and fall case. But generally, for the injured party to establish a property owner’s negligence, they must prove the property owner owed them a duty of care to keep them safe. They must also prove that the property owner breached this duty of care and that this breach directly caused the injuries, resulting in damages to the injured party.
You must prove that an unreasonable danger on the property caused your injuries.
A successful slip and fall case proves:
- A dangerous condition existed on the property.
- The property owner knew (or should have known) the hazard existed. They did not address or warn you about the hazard.
- The hazard caused your injuries.
Determining Your Status When the Slip and Fall Accident Occurred
In cases concerning premises liability, the scope of the duty a property owner owes to those occupying their land will vary depending on whether they are an invitee, licensee, or trespasser.
- Invitees: The property owner implicitly or explicitly invited someone onto the premises for the benefit of the property owner, either as a member of the public or for a business-related purpose. The property owner owes them a duty to exercise ordinary care.
- Licensees: The property owner implicitly or explicitly invited a licensee onto the premises for the licensee’s benefit, such as for a social gathering. The property owner owes them a duty to prevent willful and wanton injury.
- Trespassers enter the premises without the owner’s permission, and the property owner does not owe them a duty except to refrain from willful and wanton injury.
Our Atlanta slip and fall attorney can determine your status when you slipped and fell. The property owner may try to say you were a trespasser or that you were on the property illegally, but we can determine what happened after we look at the facts, circumstances, and evidence.
We Can Help You Navigate the Challenges of a Slip and Fall Case
We know how hard it is to protect your rights and interests as you heal from an accident. We take the stress and legal burdens off your plate. You deserve to focus on your health while we focus on the legal matters your slip and fall case presents.
We can determine if you have legal grounds to sue. Some assume the person who fell automatically has a case, but that isn't necessarily true. In many cases, proving liability in a slip and fall case involves much more.
Our team can:
- Investigate the Atlanta-area property where your accident occurred
- Identify all liable parties in your accident (e.g., the property owner, the property management company, the facility owner, or manager)
- Gather case evidence, such as photos of the accident site, photos of your injuries, video footage, witness statements, incident report or police report, and surveillance camera footage
- Determine how long the hazard existed on the property
- Determine if the property’s owner addressed the dangerous condition promptly or within a reasonable time
- Negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company for you
- File your case paperwork within Georgia’s two-year statute of limitations deadline
- Prepare and file your case if we cannot settle with the insurance company
We can manage your entire case from start to finish and always update you on all developments. We can also represent you in all hearings and communicate with the other party’s insurer or legal representatives on your behalf.
We Can Start on Your Case Without Payment
Many people do not explore legal representation because they think they can’t afford it. We understand that attorney’s fees can add to your expenses, so our payment arrangement aims to make it easier to afford an attorney. Our law firm works on contingency, which means we assume all financial risks for your case upfront and receive our payment only if we recover awards for you.
Our payment comes from your final settlement or court-ordered award. The percentage we receive will not be a surprise to you. We explain everything upfront to our clients and ensure we agree on the percentage before we proceed with the case.
You Have Two Years to File Your Atlanta Slip and Fall Case
As we mentioned earlier, you have a limited time to protect your right to sue after a slip and fall accident in Georgia. This is generally within two years of the accident starting from the date of the accident, per Georgia law. If you are pursuing a wrongful death action, you also have two years from the date you lost your family member to file it.
We can advise you on how much time you have to file your case. These deadlines can vary, particularly if you take legal action against a government entity, which could shorten your filing deadline. We urge you to file as soon as possible to ensure we can file your case on time.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip and fall can occur at nearly any location at any time due, in part, to their wide range of causes.
Common slip and fall accident causes include:
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Uneven carpeting and flooring
- Weather conditions
- Uncleaned spills
Regardless of the cause, injuries from a slip and fall can cause extensive damage to the head, neck, and back, resulting in permanent disability or permanent disfigurement. A local attorney who focuses on premises liability cases could evaluate the circumstances surrounding a slip and fall claim and offer legal advice as to who potential at-fault parties may be and what the injured party’s recoverable damages could include.
Frequently Asked Questions in Atlanta Slip and Fall Cases
We encourage you to call us for the answers you’re seeking about your specific incident or injury. Below are some commonly asked questions about slip and fall accidents.
What Evidence Do I Need to Prove My Slip and Fall Injury?
Photo and video footage of the accident site and your injuries can help your case. You can also show documentation of your medical expenses, missed time at work, lost earnings, and property damage. It also helps to have witness testimony and an incident or police report to document what happened. Injured victims should get witnesses' contact information as soon as possible after the accident and seek medical help promptly.
How Do I Know if My Slip and Fall Is a Legal Case?
You can reach out to a personal injury attorney who can review your situation and advise you of any legal options you have. You should see a doctor immediately to treat any injuries after a fall and determine your health status. After that, you may want to seek legal counsel to understand if you have a case and if you want an attorney to represent you.
A lawyer with our firm can work on your behalf to determine liability for your slip and fall injuries and what they should pay you. Hiring a slip and fall attorney who handles these cases could help you clarify and navigate your legal options.
How Can an Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group Attorney Help in a Slip and Fall Case?
Having legal representation on your side has many benefits. A personal injury attorney can help you understand your case and the applicable laws. They can also determine what monetary compensation you can seek for your damages and how you can hold the liable party responsible for your injuries. They can also determine who owes you damages, which is not always clear-cut, depending on the case’s complexity.
A slip and fall attorney knows how to establish your injuries and your accident. They can review your evidence and access other evidence you could have trouble getting on your own, such as store surveillance camera footage.
They also can take any calls you receive from an insurance company. After a slip and fall, you will want to avoid talking to an insurance company. You could jeopardize your case if you say something that insurers can use against you later. You can direct all insurers’ calls to your attorney should you choose to work with us.
What Is the Average Slip and Fall Injury Case Worth in Atlanta?
Many variables determine how much the injured party receives once the case concludes, so the value of each case differs. Factors unique to your case can shape the range of compensation that you could receive. Our attorney can explain the goal amount you could recover from a claim or lawsuit.
These factors include:
- The severity of your slip and fall injury
- The amount of your damages
- Your recovery time and how the accident affects your life (short- and long-term)
- The liable party responsible for your injuries
Cases involving catastrophic injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, will likely receive more than those involving minor injuries. If you suffered any injury in a slip and fall, explore your legal options with our legal team.
Seek Help From Our Atlanta Slip and Fall Attorneys Today
Georgia law requires landowners to keep their premises safe and danger-free when they invite others onto their properties. When they fail at this duty, slip and fall accidents take only seconds, but recovery from the injuries can take months or years. The most severe slip and fall injuries, such as spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries (TBI), may cause permanent, irreversible damage or, in some cases, may even prove fatal.
If you suffer severe injuries in a slip and fall accident due to the property owner’s negligence, you may have a claim to recover damages for your losses, but time is of the essence. An experienced Atlanta slip and fall lawyer could help you get your case going in the right direction. Contact us today at (404) 609-1724 to get started.
Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group - Atlanta Office
1900 Century Pl NE
Atlanta, GA 30345
*By Appointment Only
After my accident, I immediately googled accident lawyers.. I didn't know much about this company but I'm glad that I chose them. From the time...