If you suffered injuries after a slip and fall accident in Atlanta when someone else's negligence caused your fall, you could request compensation from that person. A skilled Atlanta slip and fall attorney at our law firm can explain your rights and how you might seek compensation for your damages during a free consultation.
You may wonder about who can be held liable and how to go about bringing a personal injury claim against responsible property owners. If you fell on a commercial or residential property because of someone else's negligence, our Atlanta slip and fall lawyers at Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group can help you build a strong legal case. Our victories include recovering more than $100 million in settlements and verdicts, including $525,000 for a client who suffered a slip and fall injury. Let our fall accident lawyers fight for the money you need.
Table of Contents
Work With an Experienced Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyer to Recover the Compensation You Deserve
At Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group, we work diligently to help our clients hold negligent parties responsible and recover the compensation they deserve after slip and fall accidents. Healing from an accident brings challenges on many levels, and we believe no one should have to endure the hardship of managing a legal case alone during a long, difficult, and unpredictable recovery.
Injury accidents can also involve other battles, including fighting insurers for a fair settlement. These companies often dispute liability cases to avoid paying more money than they have to. No one should have to negotiate with aggressive insurance adjusters on their own, either. That's why our Atlanta personal injury lawyers are powerful allies if you need to bring a slip and fall lawsuit.
Our founding attorney, Jennifer Gore-Cuthbert, personally understands these struggles. When she suffered injuries in an accident during college, she learned firsthand the challenges of physically recovering from the accident while trying to work with insurance companies for the compensation she needed. As a result, she created Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group to ensure others won’t face the same difficulties.
Why You Should Work With Our Atlanta Slip and Fall Attorneys
We can help you seek justice against the negligent parties in your case and recover compensation. Our Atlanta slip and fall lawyers can guide you through your fall injury claim using years of experience handling personal injury claims and lawsuits.
When you work with us, we:
- Put you first. Our compassionate legal team can meet with you to learn what happened in your fall accident. We pay attention to each client’s case and ask questions to ensure we have the details right. We connect with each injured person, taking every measure to understand what they need and what it takes to help them recover. Be sure to read our client testimonials to hear from past clients.
- Explain your legal options. We simplify the legal process for you. Our extensive legal knowledge ensures we use a legal strategy that fits your case.
- Take the initiative and remain flexible while handling your case. We plan for foreseeable challenges in all cases we handle. Our proactive approach also allows us to adapt to any unforeseeable challenges. We’re up to the challenge, anticipating your needs as they unfold.
- Remain on top of your case and all developments. You never have to guess what's going on in your case. Through regular communication, we can explain all changes and how they can affect your case's outcome.
- Stay focused on your financial recovery: Past clients received five- and six-figure settlements with our help. We focus on getting you financial compensation to recover from your slip and fall accident in the Atlanta area.
What Damages Can You Request in an Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident?
Personal injury accidents usually involve economic (financial) and non-economic (non-financial) damages. A knowledgeable slip and fall lawyer can assess the damages you could recover and determine how much you should pursue.
Proving Damages in a Slip and Fall Claim
We can prove economic damages with documentation, such as your medical records, pay stubs, invoices, receipts, or billing statements.
Examples of economic damages include:
- Medical expenses for injury treatment, including emergency care and hospital stays
- Ongoing rehabilitation costs that promote your recovery (e.g., physical and/or occupational therapy)
- Lost income, earnings, bonuses, tips, etc.
- Reduced earning ability if your injuries force you to take another job or stop working
- Property damage
- Other accident-related expenses
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
It is more difficult to establish non-economic losses because they do not come with a fixed dollar amount or written documentation. However, our attorneys can review all of your damages and calculate the value of the intangible losses you face.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit After an Atlanta Slip and Fall Incident
If your loved one suffered fatal injuries in an Atlanta-area slip and fall accident, we can file a lawsuit on your family’s behalf. We know this is a difficult time, and we offer our sincere condolences. However, we want to help you and your family recover the compensation you need. We are here to handle your legal case while you take care of your family.
Wrongful death damages can pay your loved one’s funeral, burial arrangements, and final medical bills. It could also help replace the income they contributed to the household and money to compensate you for the pain and suffering you feel over your loved one’s absence. During your free case consultation, we can also explain how Georgia’s wrongful death laws work and determine who in your family can pursue this kind of legal claim.
Our Atlanta slip and fall lawyers work for your family. We can determine all damages allowed by law and help you pursue them.
Understanding Premises Liability and Slip and Fall Accidents
If you were injured by a fall on someone's property, you may be able to file a premises liability lawsuit against the property owner or landowner to recover your legal damages related to your slip and fall accident. You may seek compensation from the owner or property manager, but only if you can prove the owner’s negligence makes them liable.
How Do You Prove Someone Is Liable in a Slip and Fall Accident?
Our injury attorneys can explain how the legal concept of premises liability applies to your slip and fall case. But generally, for an injured party to establish a property owner’s negligence, they must prove the owner owed them a duty of care to keep them safe. They must also prove that the owner breached this duty of care and that this breach directly caused the injuries and resulted in damages to the injured party.
A successful slip and fall case must include evidence that proves the following:
- A dangerous condition existed on the property.
- The property owner knew (or should have known) that the hazard existed, but they did not address the hazard or warn about it.
- The hazard caused injuries.
Why Your Legal Status on the Property Matters in a Slip and Fall Accident
In premises liability cases, the scope of the property owner's duty will vary depending on whether the visitor is an invitee, licensee, or trespasser.
- Invitees: The property owner implicitly or explicitly invited someone onto the premises for the benefit of the property owner, either as a member of the public or for a business-related purpose. The property owner owes them a duty to exercise ordinary care.
- Licensees: The property owner implicitly or explicitly invited a licensee onto the premises for the licensee’s benefit, such as for a social gathering. The property owner owes them a duty to prevent willful and wanton injury.
- Trespassers enter the premises without the owner’s permission, and the property owner does not owe them a duty except to refrain from willful and wanton injury.
Our Atlanta slip and fall attorneys can determine your legal status when you fell. The property owner may try to say you were a trespasser or that you were on the property illegally, but we can determine what happened after we look at the facts, circumstances, and evidence.
We Can Help You Navigate the Challenges of a Slip and Fall Case
We know how hard it is to protect your rights and interests as you heal from an accident. Our legal team can take the stress and legal burdens off your plate. You deserve to focus on your health while we focus on the legal matters your slip and fall case presents.
We can determine if you have legal grounds to bring a claim or file a lawsuit. Some assume the person who fell automatically has a case, but that isn't necessarily true. In many cases, proving liability in a slip and fall case involves much more.
Our team can:
- Investigate the Atlanta-area property where your accident occurred
- Identify all liable parties in your accident (for example, the property owner, the property management company, the facility owner, or the manager)
- Gather case evidence, such as photos of the accident site, photos of your injuries, video footage, witness statements, incident or police reports, and surveillance camera footage
- Determine how long the hazard existed on the property
- Determine if the property’s owner addressed the dangerous condition promptly or within a reasonable time
- Negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company for you
- File your lawsuit within Georgia’s two-year statute of limitations deadline if we cannot settle with the insurance company
- Take your personal injury lawsuit to trial
We can manage your entire case from start to finish and always update you on all developments. We can also represent you in all hearings and communicate with the other party’s insurer or legal representatives on your behalf.
We Can Start Working on Your Slip and Fall Claim Without Payment Upfront
Many people do not explore legal representation because they think they can't afford it. We understand that attorney's fees can add to your expenses, so our payment arrangement aims to make it easier to afford an attorney.
We offer a free consultation, and our law firm works on a contingency basis. This means we assume all financial risks for your case upfront and receive our payment only if we recover compensation for you.
Our payment comes from your final settlement or court-ordered award. The percentage we receive will not be a surprise to you. We explain everything upfront to our clients and ensure we agree on the percentage before we proceed with the case.
You Have Two Years to File Your Atlanta Slip and Fall Case
As we mentioned earlier, you have a limited time to protect your right to file a lawsuit after a slip and fall accident in Georgia. This is generally within two years of the accident starting from the date of the accident, per Georgia law. If you are pursuing a wrongful death action, you also have two years from the date you lost your family member to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
We can explain how much time you have to file your case. These deadlines can vary, particularly if you take legal action against a government entity, which could shorten your filing deadline. We urge you to contact us as soon as possible to ensure we can file your case on time.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip and fall can occur at nearly any location at any time under a wide range of situations.
Common slip and fall accident causes include:
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Uneven carpeting and flooring
- Weather conditions
- Uncleaned spills
- Lack of property maintenance and repair
Regardless of the cause, injuries from a slip and fall can cause extensive damage to the head, neck, and back, resulting in permanent disability or permanent disfigurement. An Atlanta attorney who focuses on premises liability cases can evaluate the circumstances surrounding a slip and fall claim and offer legal advice as to who the potential at-fault parties may be and what the injured party’s recoverable damages could include.
Frequently Asked Questions in Atlanta Slip and Fall Cases
We encourage you to call us for the answers you’re seeking about your specific incident or injury. In the meantime, here are some commonly asked questions about slip and fall accidents.
What Evidence Do I Need to Prove My Slip and Fall Injury?
Photo and video footage of the accident site and your injuries can help your case. You can also show documentation of your medical expenses, missed time at work, lost wages, and property damage. It also helps to have witness testimony and an incident or police report to document what happened. Injured victims should get witnesses' contact information as soon as possible after the accident and seek medical help promptly.
How Do I Know If I Can Bring a Claim For My Slip and Fall?
You should see a doctor immediately to treat any injuries after a fall to protect your health status. After that, you can reach out to a personal injury attorney who can review your situation and explain your legal options, including whether you have a strong legal case.
Let our legal team work on your behalf to determine liability for your slip and fall injuries and what the responsible party should pay you. Hiring a slip and fall attorney who handles these cases could help you clarify and navigate your legal options.
How Can an Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group Attorney Help in a Slip and Fall Case?
Having legal representation on your side has many benefits. A personal injury attorney can help you understand your case and the applicable laws. They can also determine who is responsible for your fall, what monetary compensation you can seek for your damages, and how you can hold the liable party responsible for your injuries.
Knowing who is responsible for your damages is not always clear-cut, depending on the case’s complexity. A slip and fall attorney knows how to establish your injuries and your accident. They can review your evidence and gather other evidence you might not have access to on your own, such as store surveillance camera footage.
They also can handle any communication you receive from an insurance company. After a slip and fall, you will want to avoid talking to an insurance company. You could jeopardize your case if you say something that insurers can use against you later. You can direct all insurers’ calls to your attorney should you choose to work with us.
What Is the Average Atlanta Slip and Fall Injury Case Worth?
Many variables determine how much the injured party receives once the case concludes, so the value of each case differs. Factors unique to your case can shape the range of compensation that you could receive. Our attorneys can explain the amount you could recover from a claim or lawsuit.
These factors include:
- The severity of your slip and fall injury
- The amount of your damages
- Your recovery time and how the accident affects your life (short- and long-term)
- The liable party responsible for your injuries and their insurance coverage limits
Cases involving catastrophic injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, will likely receive more compensation than those involving minor injuries. If you suffered any injury in a slip and fall, explore your legal options with our legal team.
When You Need an Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyer, Trust Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group
Georgia law requires landowners to keep their premises safe and danger-free when they invite others onto their properties. When they breach this duty, slip and fall accidents can happen in only a few seconds, but recovery from the injuries can take months or years. The most severe slip and fall injuries, such as spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries (TBI), may cause permanent, irreversible damage or, in some cases, may even prove fatal.
If you suffer severe injuries in a slip and fall accident due to the property owner’s negligence, you may have a claim to recover damages for your losses, but time is of the essence. An experienced Atlanta slip and fall lawyer could answer all your questions and help you build a strong legal case to recover your losses. Contact us today at (404) 609-1724 to get started.
After my accident, I immediately googled accident lawyers.. I didn't know much about this company but I'm glad that I chose them. From the time...