Collisions are a leading cause of fatalities and one of the most common personal injury claims. While a vehicle collision takes only minutes, the resulting injuries and damage could last a lifetime. In some cases, car accident injuries can cause permanent disability, paralysis, or physical disfigurement.
If you sustained severe injuries in a car collision due to someone else's negligence, you may want to consider seeking legal advocacy to recover damages for your suffering. From the initial filing to the recovery of damages, an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer from our firm can work hard to see your case through. Having dedicated legal counsel can give you peace of mind in knowing that someone is fighting for your rights.
Table of Contents
At Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group, we take pride in helping car accident victims make the best possible financial recovery. We have won numerous high six-figure settlements for our clients, including a $650,000 settlement for a client involved in a head-on collision and a $908,334 settlement for a rear-end collision victim.
When you call our team to learn more about your case's potential, we can explain what types of compensation you may be able to recover. Then we will use our experience and knowledge to seek the fair amount you deserve.
At our firm, we put client service first. Our five-star rating on Google Reviews attests to this commitment.
Take a look at how some of our previous clients describe their experience with us:
- “Would recommend to any and everyone looking for a personal injury lawyer. I was hit head-on by a drunk driver two weeks before my wedding and underwent emergency surgery. Jennifer and her team went above and beyond to help me through the most traumatic and stressful time of my life. Everyone is extremely responsive and genuinely cared about my case, but most importantly me… I truly believe that if you let Jennifer and her team represent you, you will definitely be in good hands. Thank you all again!” —Diamond H.
- “After my accident, I immediately Googled accident lawyers. I didn’t know much about this company but I’m glad that I chose them. From the time I reached out, they provided clear instructions & communication about their process. They stayed in touch and kept me updated every step of the way. At the end, I actually received more than what was expected due to their negotiations and hard work on their end. I highly recommend working with them if you’re involved in an accident… hopefully I’m not involved in any more accidents, but if I am I will be calling them again.” —Jay V.
What Our Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers Can Do for You
After a car accident, make your first priority recovering from the crash and putting your life back together. When you hire one of our Atlanta car accident attorneys, we can handle all your legal tasks while you focus on your well-being.
Our attorneys can take care of everything related to your car accident case, including:
- Gathering evidence to prove liability and your losses
- Working with experts to build additional testimony that strengthens your case
- Negotiating a settlement that meets your needs
- Filing a civil lawsuit if necessary
- Completing all legal paperwork
- Advising you on state laws that may affect your case
- Offering you clarity and support during this confusing time
Our personal injury lawyers will work to create the most comprehensive analysis of your accident possible, allowing for factors such as insurance coverage, details from the accident scene, and evidence demonstrating the other driver's negligence to have the focus and attention they deserve so that we can create a compelling case.
We strive to seek a settlement or award that compensates you for your accident-related losses as fully as possible. For example, we know that insurance companies will likely attempt to make a low initial settlement offer. While it can be tempting to take this offer to cover the bills that are quickly adding up, we may advise that you wait—and that we continue with negotiations for you.
An Atlanta car accident lawyer can work toward a settlement that covers your past, present, and future expenses related to the crash. So, we may advise that you wait on accepting an offer until you learn more about your expected prognosis and future medical costs. Once your prognosis is more clear, we can try to include your future physical therapy expenses and other potential bills in your settlement amount.
Our Car Accident Attorneys Are Here to Answer Your Questions
During a free consultation, an Atlanta car accident lawyer will typically review the facts of your case, ask questions about the accident and your injuries, and discuss possible legal strategies. This is also an opportunity for you to ask questions about the lawyer's experience, approach to your case, and any other concerns you may have. It's important to come prepared with any documents or information related to your accident, such as medical reports, police reports, and details of communications with your carrier and the other driver's insurance company.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Atlanta
Whether it is a fender bender or a head-on collision, injuries can arise from any motor vehicle accident. The specific harm sustained will vary, but symptoms are often severe.
Some common types of car accident injuries include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord and paralysis injuries
- Fractures and sprains
- Bruises and cuts
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
When an Atlanta Car Crash Leads to the Wrongful Death of a Loved One
Losing a loved one in a fatal car accident is a deeply traumatic experience. In these unfortunate circumstances, surviving family members may have the right to pursue a wrongful death claim. In the state of Georgia, a wrongful death claim seeks to recover the "full value of the life" of the deceased, which includes both economic and non-economic aspects.
These damages can include lost wages and benefits the deceased would have earned had they lived, as well as the intangible loss of care, companionship, and other elements of the deceased's relationships with their family. Consulting an Atlanta car accident lawyer is essential to understand your rights and the complexities involved in these types of cases.
Calculating Damages in an Atlanta Car Accident Claim
While the physical injuries may take time to recover, the mental anguish and trauma from a car accident can take much longer to heal. In addition to bodily harm, injuries sustained in a collision can cause financial hardship due to increasing medical bills and loss of wages while recovering.
Your lawyer will work to ensure that your car accident claim fully encompasses the range of both economic and non-economic damages that you experience as a result of this event. While we cannot promise you a specific amount of compensation, we are confident in saying that we are skilled negotiators and understand that these losses must be treated comprehensively. The total value of your current and future losses is likely higher than you think it to be. Our role is to demonstrate this through evidence and present a compelling argument for why you deserve to be compensated in full.
Our experienced Atlanta car accident attorneys can seek out any potential at-fault parties to recover existing damages.
What Are Recoverable Damages in Car Crashes?
Recoverable damages for injuries sustained in a car accident include economic, non-economic, and, on rare occasions, punitive damages. The calculation and award of each by the court will depend on several factors.
Economic damages are tangible financial losses, such as medical bills, loss of current and future earnings, and repair costs. Non-economic damages are mental and emotional harm resulting from your injuries. These may include loss of enjoyment of life, pain, suffering, and emotional distress. Punitive damages punish the wrongdoer and deter others from behaving similarly.
Are There Limits on Non-Economic Damages in Car Accident Claims?
While other states may cap personal injury damages, Georgia does not. When pursuing a car accident injury claim, seeking the guidance of a seasoned Atlanta car accident attorney is imperative to the recovery of damages to the fullest extent under state law.
Atlanta Car Accident Statistics
Atlanta is one of the largest cities in the United States, and our population has been on the rise for more than a decade. According to U.S. Census data, Atlanta's population grew by almost 20 percent in 10 years. Between increasing roadway congestion and other safety challenges, Atlanta drivers regularly face dangers behind the wheel.
According to a Safer Streets study, part of Atlanta's Strategic Transportation Plan, crashes regularly occur at intersections where cars, bikes, and pedestrians meet. The study identified some of the most dangerous intersections in Atlanta, where the highest number of fatalities and injuries occur.
Areas where car accidents happen frequently in Atlanta include:
- Cleveland Avenue and Metropolitan Parkway
- Marietta Street and Northside Drive
- University Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue
- Ponce De Leon Avenue and Clifton Road
- Barge Road and Campbellton Road
- Joseph E. Boone Boulevard and Hamilton E. Holmes Drive
- Peachtree Road and Piedmont Avenue
- Macon Drive and Cleveland Avenue
Atlanta Motor Vehicle CrashesSource: gahighwaysafety.org
Injury Accidents in Atlanta
The Safer Streets study also provided these statistics for injury accidents in Atlanta:
- Atlanta had 243 fatalities in the four years between 2011 and 2015
- Of these fatalities, 30 percent were pedestrians
- Over one-third of the fatalities occurred on interstate highways, including I-75, I-85, and I-20
- Nearly 60 percent of the fatalities took place on streets with a speed limit of 35 mph and below
So, while interstate highways such as I-75 are certainly dangerous and can lead to major crashes, Atlanta drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists also deal with significant safety concerns on lower-speed city roads.
If you were in a crash, you have already experienced these roadway dangers firsthand. Our attorneys have also seen the consequences of many devastating Atlanta crashes—and we can help you put your life back together after this difficult time.
Atlanta Motor Vehicle InjuriesSource: gahighwaysafety.org
Atlanta Car Accident FAQs
We know that you likely have many questions after a car accident in Atlanta. Our team is ready to help you sort through the confusion and get the answers you need.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
You reported the crash to the police and let your insurance company know about the accident. What comes next?
- Seek medical attention. Even if you did not take an ambulance to the emergency room after the crash, get medical care soon after your accident. It is crucial to get the treatment you need and to document your injuries. When you have a clear medical record that we can show to the insurance company, it becomes harder for an adjuster to minimize your suffering.
- Keep any important documents. If you got contact information from eyewitnesses after the accident, that is great—be sure to hang onto these details. As you spend money on accident-related or injury-related costs, such as transportation to pick up your car after repairs, keep the receipts as well.
- Continue to get medical care as needed. After seeking medical treatment, keep taking any prescribed medications, attending any physical therapy appointments, and following any other doctor's orders. Doing this gives the insurance company less opportunity to claim that you made your injuries worse.
- Get a free consultation. Our team offers free case reviews so you can get perspective on legal options immediately after an accident—at no obligation.
Do I Need an Atlanta Car Accident Attorney?
In a word, yes. Dealing with the aftermath of a car wreck can be a confusing and overwhelming process, especially when you're left with injuries, outstanding medical expenses, and lost wages from time off work. When a car accident victim chooses to attempt to negotiate their own settlement, it's almost a given that the insurance company will not take their claim seriously.
To put it simply, the average car accident settlement is much higher when working with a skilled car accident lawyer. Our law firm has benefited thousands of injured victims and has seen first-hand the necessity of skilled legal advocacy when it comes to obtaining justice and maximum compensation after an accident.
What if the Other Driver Does Not Have Insurance?
Learning that the at-fault driver is uninsured does not mean that you're unable to recover compensation.
You may still have options:
- First, you may be able to turn to your insurance policy if you elected uninsured or underinsured (UM) coverage. In Georgia, this is not mandatory coverage for all drivers, but you may have purchased it with your original auto policy.
- In other situations, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against the other driver and seek compensation at trial.
Your auto accident attorney can help evaluate your specific situation and determine what possibilities and avenues for recovery are available to you.
What Should I Expect from the Claims Process?
If you hire an experienced car accident lawyer from our team, you can expect to hand off all legal tasks related to the claims process. Our attorneys typically begin by investigating the facts of your case and gathering evidence that shows how the accident happened and how you were affected. We can then work with the insurance companies and other lawyers on your behalf.
Depending on your case, we can either proceed with out-of-court settlement negotiations or file a civil lawsuit to take your case to trial. During this process, we keep you updated regularly with any important news or settlement offers.
When you receive an offer, it is always your choice to accept. We can help you understand how to evaluate offers and give our advice, but the final decision is in your hands.
How Do I Know if an Insurance Company's Offer Is Fair?
The insurance adjuster's first offer will not likely pay you what you deserve. After all, insurance companies are profit-driven businesses, and they will take steps to protect their bottom line.
To lower your settlement offer, they may argue that:
- You are not as seriously injured as you say
- Your medical bills are not as high as you claim
- You were more responsible for the accident than you truly were
You do not have to accept these arguments or get caught in a settlement trap. Our attorneys have seen all these common pitfalls before and know how to argue for the highest settlement value for your case.
How Long Will It Take to Get Paid?
Getting paid can take anywhere from weeks to months, depending on the seriousness of your injuries and the complexity of your case. Every case is different.
We know that getting compensation as quickly as possible is crucial for your recovery after the crash. Our attorneys will work hard to ensure that your legal process moves as efficiently as possible.
Can I Afford an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer?
This question is often top-of-mind for people who are wondering if they should hire an Atlanta car accident lawyer. Fortunately, we make our services available to you on a no-win, no-fee basis. This means that you do not have to pay any upfront costs out of your savings to begin your case.
We only receive a payment if you get a settlement or award for your case. So, yes: You can afford a car accident lawyer when you hire our team.
Will my Car Accident Claim Go to Trial?
Most car accident cases settle out of court. However, in the event that an insurance company is unwilling to make a fair settlement offer, our skilled trial attorneys are prepared to take the necessary legal action, including a car accident lawsuit.
Regarding the timeline of your case, the claims process, and the steps taken to ensure a full financial recovery, your experienced car accident attorney will take care to keep you informed of your rights at all times. Our goal is always to make sure that you are equipped to make informed decisions about your personal injury claim and your future.
Speak to an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer for Help
A car accident can terrify you. In addition to vehicle damage, you may have extensive physical injuries and psychological trauma. While the legal process of filing a claim may seem like an ordeal, you do not have to go through it alone when you hire a car accident lawyer from Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group.
I had A Car Accident about 5 Months Back – Thanks to the Lord Walked Away With Just 2 Broken Bones. I reached out & explained my story – then made an appointment so the Firm can See & Understand the damage & pain . They told me just focus on getting back to good health – I listened , trusted & did my therapy while they worked and gathered ALL helpful Information which NOW caused me to WIN- Even Though I’ll never be the same Again – the experience knowing and hearing Updates Throughout the process caused An Ease from Worry. THANK YOU Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group.