The commercial truck industry serves an essential function in the United States economy and is crucial for providing goods and services to the general public. With this form of transportation being in such high demand, the number of semi-trucks on the road these days is higher than ever. With more commercial trucks on our roads, Atlanta is also seeing more truck accidents and truck accident victims every year.
The astounding size and weight of these vehicles can cause catastrophic tractor-trailer accidents, especially when passenger cars are involved. These crashes can involve multiple vehicles and cause extensive amounts of damage and serious injuries. If you are an accident victim from an Atlanta truck accident that has left you severely injured, an Atlanta truck accident lawyer can help you seek the maximum amount of compensation. Speak to our experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyers to discuss your case and legal options.
What Makes Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group Different?
Our team at Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group understands that you may now be facing one of the most stressful challenges of your life. A truck accident can leave you debilitated while you need to take care of your legal case. We provide compassionate legal services to victims and work hard to help them make the recovery they deserve.
We're driven by guiding principles that put client services and results at the center.
Here's what makes our firm unique:
- We can empathize. Our founding attorney, Jennifer-Gore Cuthbert, decided to dedicate her life to helping accident victims after her own experience with a car accident in college. Now, she and her team bring both empathy and experience to each case.
- We’re responsive. We know that waiting for answers and updates is another major stressor during the legal process. We maintain prompt, thorough communication with you throughout the process.
- We get results. Our firm has a record of winning results, such as high six-figure settlements for vehicle accident victims. We won $880,000 in one truck accident case and $600,000 in a head-on collision case.
You can learn more about our unique services during a free case review with our team.
What Are the Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
Commercial truck accidents can occur for many reasons, including an error by the truck driver or other motorists.
Some of the more common causes of truck accidents include:
- Traffic violations
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Poor truck maintenance
- Lack of driving experience
Regardless of how these incidents occur, collisions involving a tractor-trailer can result in road blockage and traffic congestion, extensive damage to all vehicles involved, and severe injuries or fatalities. Commercial truck accident attorneys can assist in filing a claim to recover damages from the appropriate liable parties.
Truck Accidents and the Dangers of Atlanta’s Roadways
Atlanta is a major location for freight transportation within the region. With its proximity to the Port of Savannah and location in the Southeastern United States, the Atlanta Regional Commission says the city sees millions of tons of freight moving through the city’s roadways on tractor-trailers and other large trucks every year.
With so much freight traffic passing through our city, car accidents with semi-trucks are becoming more common each passing year.
Atlanta drivers on I-85 and I-285 witness these devastating crashes regularly, including tragic events such as:
- An overturned tractor-trailer wreck shut down parts of I-85
- A tractor-trailer flipped on its side, shutting down lanes of I-285
- A fatal, fiery accident caused by a tipped moving truck on I-85
Whether an interstate crash in Atlanta or a wreck in a neighborhood intersection hurt you, our attorneys can help. We can use our deep experience serving Atlanta truck accident victims to gather strong evidence and build a solid case that explains how your crash happened and why you deserve compensation for your truck accident injury claim.
How Our Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyers Determine Liability in a Truck Accident
Building a legal case for a truck accident claim will start by determining liability. In commercial truck collision cases, there could be several potentially liable parties from whom an injured party may recover compensation, such as truck drivers, the truck driver's insurance company, trucking companies, the shipper, the truck's manufacturer, and insurance carriers.
When pursuing a truck accident claim, you must identify the appropriate parties to recover damages from to obtain the maximum compensation possible.
What Are Recoverable Damages for a Tractor-Trailer Crash?
The types of recoverable damages following a trucking accident include economic, non-economic, and in rare instances, punitive damages. This could include compensation for pain and suffering, medical expenses and future medical treatment, loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish, and lost wages.
Under Georgia law, a truck accident victim might share some responsibility for the crash. If an injured person bears some fault, their recovery can be reduced by the percentage of fault allocated to them.
Our Atlanta truck accident attorneys can help determine whether you share any fault for your motor vehicle accident to prepare an argument against any anticipated reductions to the compensation you may be awarded.
Determining Your Financial Losses
Our attorneys want to ensure you receive the compensation you need to pay for necessary expenses related to your truck accident. Because these accidents are often serious and can be physically devastating for victims, we will ensure that you seek the highest recovery possible to recoup your losses.
Specifically, we can prepare a strong claim for the following:
- Medical costs for past, present, and future damages: You may need emergency care immediately after the crash, along with follow-up visits to a doctor, lab tests, medications, surgeries, long-term hospitalization, and ongoing physical therapy, among other medical care needs. All these losses could be recoverable.
- Income and wage losses for past, present, and future damages: You could be out of work for weeks or months, missing your normal paychecks. You could also struggle to return to your old job—and may have to accept a lower-paying job. We can work to recover a financial settlement for these and other losses, such as missed tips, bonuses, or promotion opportunities.
- Any other out-of-pocket costs: Whether you need to pay for a cab to your medical appointments or purchase in-home medical devices, you could recoup your out-of-pocket costs.
Determining Your Non-Financial Losses
Your non-financial damages include those losses that are more emotional or psychological. This may include pain, suffering, lost enjoyment of life, and damages for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), among other specific damages.
You may be wondering how it's possible to demonstrate these kinds of losses when they don't come with a receipt or invoice. Rest assured that a truck accident lawyer at Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group has the experience needed to show an insurance company or a jury that your non-financial damages are significant. We know how to value these less-tangible damages and build evidence to back up our claims, including expert witness testimony or statements from your treating therapist.
What Makes a Tractor Trailer Accident Different from Other Vehicle Accidents?
As mentioned, liability in a truck accident case is one major factor that makes these cases unique from other vehicle accidents. While the truck driver may have caused the crash, if they were working as an employee for a trucking company, the trucking company may also be responsible for your compensation.
This could raise several important factors for your case. For example, you may be able to seek more compensation. Often, trucking companies carry a higher corporate insurance policy, and you could recover damages up to the policy's limits.
However, dealing with corporate insurance policies can be tricky. After all, a trucking company likely has ample resources to dedicate to the case and will deny or downplay your case's value. Our attorneys do not shy away from tough cases such as these. We can tenaciously represent you against major companies in the freight industry.
Our Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyers Can Handle These Common Challenges to Your Case
The liable party’s insurance company may:
- Deny your claim altogether and refuse to accept liability
- Claim that you were more responsible for the crash than you truly were
- Belittle the seriousness of your injuries or the cost of your medical care
- Delay your case’s progress unnecessarily
Our attorneys have seen all of these maneuvers before. We can work to protect your right to seek compensation and fight for the smooth, efficient legal process you deserve.
What the Legal Team at Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group Can Do For You
You shouldn't have to deal with the burden of a legal case while you are still recovering from your injuries. Our attorneys at Atlanta Personal Injury Law Group can handle all the details for you.
Our dedicated personal injury lawyers can:
Investigate Your Case and Gather Evidence
Every successful injury case rests on solid evidence. One of the first things we can do when you hire our team is to conduct a full investigation of your truck accident.
We can gather evidence to show:
- The other party’s negligence caused your crash.
- You suffered injuries and damages as a result.
The evidence to demonstrate these elements is crucial for your case’s success.
To show the other party was negligent, we may look to sources such as police reports, eyewitness testimony, surveillance camera footage, black box data, dashboard camera footage, company logbooks, and records of past violations by the trucking company or driver.
Demonstrating your injuries and losses may involve collecting your medical records, statements from your doctor, employment pay stubs, comments from your employer, and other records. Our goal is to prepare a detailed case to show your losses as clearly as possible.
Handle Settlement Negotiations or Litigation on Your Behalf
Next, we’ll proceed to seek the financial recovery you need.
To this end, we may start by either:
- Negotiating an out-of-court settlement with the relevant insurance companies, or
- Filing a lawsuit and taking your case to civil court
Certain factors of your case may influence how we proceed. We can explain our legal strategy to you after you hire our law firm. In many situations, we can seek a fair settlement through out-of-court negotiations. If our conversations with the insurance company do not yield a satisfactory offer, we can file a lawsuit.
If your case goes to trial, our attorneys will prepare and present your case to a jury. We can cross-examine witnesses, prepare all necessary court paperwork, and handle every step of the trial process.
Ensure Your Case Is on Track
A truck accident case has many moving parts. Our job is to help you navigate it all and help you keep your case on track.
For instance, every state limits the time to file a lawsuit for a personal injury case. In Georgia, this deadline is two years. If you don’t take legal action within this timeframe, you could lose the chance to seek compensation—even if you have a compelling case.
During a free consultation, we can help you understand all the important laws and procedures that govern injury cases like yours. Then, we’ll help you stay on top of what’s important for your case.
Frequently Asked Questions in Atlanta Truck Accident Cases
We promise to answer all of your questions throughout your case. In the meantime, here are our responses to some of the most commonly asked questions in truck accident cases:
What Types of Truck Accident Cases Can You Help With?
We can help you if you were hurt by a:
- Semi-truck or tractor-trailer
- Delivery truck driver
- Amazon truck
- Moving van
- Dump truck
- Commercial vehicle or privately owned truck
Each of these accidents may involve multiple parties and come with unique liability and insurance policy factors. Our team can help you understand your legal options in any of these scenarios.
Also, we can assist you whether a truck injured you while you were in another vehicle, as a pedestrian, or as a bicyclist who was hit by a truck.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident?
After a truck accident:
- Report the crash to the police immediately. This will create a record of the accident that you can use as evidence for your claim or lawsuit. Also, contact your insurance company to briefly report the crash.
- Get all the medical care you need as promptly as possible. Even if you only feel mild symptoms, they could intensify without treatment. Don't delay going to see a doctor or visiting the emergency room. The insurance company may use your medical history to show that you made your injuries worse by neglecting prompt treatment. They may also say your injuries weren't connected to the crash if you wait too long for treatment.
- Be careful about what you say. Avoid posting about the crash on social media. The insurance company will use your posts against you. When you speak with an insurance adjuster, refer them to us. If they ask for a recorded statement, refuse because it could harm your case.
- Get a free case review from our firm. Once you understand your legal options, you'll make better decisions about your truck accident case. Our case reviews are free. Let us explain everything you should know about your next steps after a crash.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Lawyer?
Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means it costs nothing upfront to work with our team. We only get paid when you receive results. So, you don't have to pay out-of-pocket to get started, and we receive our fees only at the successful conclusion of your case.
Seek Assistance from an Atlanta Truck Accident Attorney Today
The increase in commercial trucking means an increase in truck accidents. Collisions with these oversized vehicles may cause serious injuries and devastating damages and carry a higher risk of fatality for all motorists involved.
If you suffer injuries from a commercial truck accident, you might deserve compensation for your losses. Schedule a free consultation with our team to learn more about your potential claim. Trust our experienced Atlanta truck accident lawyers to protect you. Call us at (404) 609-1724 or complete our simple online form now.
"Great experience. My case manager, Indya, has done an amazing job. She answers all my questions and gives me updates." - Rosa V. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more of our Google reviews!