- The insurance adjuster will tell you things that a personal injury lawyer knows better than to believe. Some will tell you that you are not entitled to claim an injury as the result of your accident if you had any injuries or problems prior to the accident. They may tell you that you aren't entitled to pain and suffering for certain types of medical bills. They will tell you there they will not consider your injuries, if the damage to your car was "minor".
- The insurance adjusters are not your friends. The Insurance company is in business to make money. The less money they give you for your accident, the more money they make. The insurance adjuster is trained to seem pleasant, but they do not get ahead in their jobs by giving you more money than they can get by with giving you. They use this tactic of "niceness" to manipulate you into believing that you don't need an attorney.
- An insurance adjuster is a skilled negotiator. That means they are trained in psychology, and know who know how to pay you the least amount of money they can get by with paying you. The goal is to manipulate you into settling your case below it's value. You will hear things like, "that's my top offer," "you won't do better than this after an attorney takes their fee," and "our analysis of your medical bills is that the reasonable value of them is less half ", or "your doctor charged you too much and we are not going to pay".
- Insurance adjusters will not tell you about the other things you can be compensated for. These items include, lost time from work, prescriptions, diminished value of your car, the loss of use of your car, reimbursement for recent reasonable maintenance to your car, damage to items in your vehicle, mileage to your doctors and more.
- Insurance companies do no want you to hire a lawyer. If you hire a lawyer, they know you will end up getting a larger settlement. They will tell you that lawyers are unnecessary and untrustworthy. Unfortunately, about 80% of injured victims settle their cases below the reasonable value without an attorney. Knowing this, insurance companies will do and say whatever they can from keeping an injured victim from getting attorney.
5 Secrets Insurance Companies Don’t Want You to Know About Settling Your Personal Injury Settlement